SundanceX is seeking strong F/M dancers for upcoming performances in Summer 2018 festivals: June 9th at the 10th Annual Dance for the World Community in Harvard Square; June 23 in the Dance Complex's Festival of Us & Them... in Central Square, Cambridge MA. Also Southern VT Dance Festival, July 20, gala performance.
Dancers should be: minimum of 18 years of age, well-trained in ballet (women with strong pointe work), some modern/contemporary/neoclassical background, have a strong work ethic, open mind; available to commit to rehearsals (3x/week +) and performances. Some rehearsal pay + honorarium for performances available.
To audition, applicants should send via email:
Resume with personal stats including name, contact info, age, height, weight, hair color, training, professional experience.
Headshots, Dance Photos: 3 or more (full-length body) classical & contemporary photos, including action shots (no shots posed outdoors).
Audition video link on Vimeo or Youtube, with classical and contemporary/neoclassical variations (unedited/no quick cuts, full-length body), and brief ballet class work (females en pointe).*
Audition Fee $15.00
Dancers residing in the Greater Boston/Southern NH area will be better able to work with SundanceX.
For further information: DsundanceX@gmail.com.
* Video Audition Information (Accompaniment with classical music only please.) Keep it brief.
Barre – Grand plié in 2nd and 5th positions
- Tendu from 5th, en croix two in each direction
- Développé en avant, à la seconde and arabesque
- Grand battement en croix
Center – (En Pointe for ladies)
Glissade, développé into effacé, glissade, développé into écarté devant (repeat left), balancé right, left, tombé pas de bourrée to 4th, pirouette finishing sous-sous 5th position (example).
- Adagio - must include grands poses and a tour lent/promenade in either à la seconde or arabesque.
- Pirouettes en dedan & en dehor, from 5th or 4th.
- Petite allegro including: Glissade, jeté, temps levé, assemblé, 3 brisés, royale, Jeté and assemblé with beats
- Grand Allegro including tour jetés, grand jeté, sissone, etc.
Ladies only (en pointe)
- Échappés en croix (en face) and add passé/retiré
- Échappés en croix (effacé) and add passé/retiré
- Piqué turns en dedan & en dehor with chainés, fouétté turns, en diagonale
- Four entrechat quatre or four entrechat six
- multiple pirouettes, from 5th, 4th; grand pirouettes in 2nd
- Saut de basque
- Double tour
- Classical: a solo or classical variation (Petipa, Balanchine, et al). Women must be en pointe. One or two minutes in length.
- Contemporary: original choreography or modern. One or two minutes in length. No pop/vocal music please.
- You must be in a unitard, or tights and tight fitting top, or leotard that clearly enables the viewer to observe your technique
- Do NOT wear skirts, loose fitting tee-shirts, leg warmers, or costumes (unless video is from a performance)
- Wear clothing that contrasts with the filming environment so you can clearly be seen and stand out from the background
- Audition Video: link on vimeo or youtube, or submit to Dropbox with request.
Please position the camera in front of the applicant to show full height and breadth in pliés and ports de bras; position the camera halfway between front and side for all other sections of the barre to show full range of movements. Position camera for center work to see the entire studio or stage from downstage center.
- It is to your benefit to create the best possible conditions for filming
- Carefully consider the space in which you are filming; the space should have minimal distractions for the reviewer
- Ensure there is adequate lighting
- Be sure you are visible within the frame for the duration of the recording (Keep the dancer in the camera frame at all times).
- Review your video before submitting to check for playback quality. Do edit out dancers recording themselves adjusting camera.
- While professionally recorded video is not required, please do not make quick or frequent edits, to ensure the dancer is seen completing a full dance phrase &/or variation. Full-length view of the dancer’s body at all times. Do not crop or cut out parts of the body while recording video. No close-up of body parts please.